As mothers, you are always struggling to give healthy food to your child, who is lured by all the junk food advertised on the TV, or in the form of pamphlets. The ultimate challenge is marrying the health and taste together to give a union that spells a win-win situation for both moms and kids.
Did I touch a raw nerve there?
I guess I did!
But worry not moms, as I have some good news for you!
Did that get your attention? Yes, well, then read on!
Moms all over the world face one dilemma – what to feed their growing child? And every day in the kitchen becomes a battle for her where she has to bring both taste and nutrition together in one dish.
But as I dug into my friends’ and acquaintances’ repository of recipes, I found some gems that were not only tasty but were also loaded with nutrition. From Carrot balls to caterpillar sandwiches to banana pancakes, here are some tried and tested healthy snacks for kids, which even your child will not only love gobbling up but also have fun while preparing them. So without any further ado, here are some of the tried tested recipes for some of the healthy food for your kids.
No Bake Carrot and Date Balls: Carrots are nutritious and make for some of the best and healthy snacks for kids. Blend it with dry fruits and nuts to get one of the tastiest, and the healthiest food for kids. Follow this simple recipe for this nutritious snack.
· Half (½) Kg carrots (that you and your kid could shred together)
· 1 cup dates (remove the pits and then measure)
· 1 ¾ cup walnuts or cashews
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
· ¼ tsp sea salt
· ¾ grounded cinnamon
· ½ tsp grounded ginger
· 1 pinch grounded nutmeg
· ¼ cup raisins
· 1 cup of coconut flour or almond flour or desiccated coconut or flax seed /oats powder
- Rinse and wash the carrots thoroughly and shred them together with your kids
- Next take all the ingredients and along with the shredded carrots and blend them together in the blender
- Blend it till you get a soft dough that can be rolled out into small balls
- Once the balls are ready roll them in the flour of your choice – almond, coconut, flaxseed or oats powder
- Lastly refrigerate or freeze the balls so that they become firm
- Serve with a glass of warm milk
Yummy Pancakes: No child can resist a pancake and if it is homemade with healthy ingredients and tastes delicious then it is a combo par excellence. What’s more you only need two ingredients to make this yummy pancake.
· Three ripe bananas
· Three lightly beaten eggs
- In a bowl mash the bananas.
- Whisk in the eggs until they combined well with mashed bananas
- Once the batter is ready, take a non-stick pan and heat it over a low flame
- Pour in 1/3 of the batter into the pan and let it cook
- Once you see the bubbles popping up, flip the side and cook again for 1-2 minutes more
- Serve it hot with sliced bananas and dripping maple syrup or honey
Note: You may try with other sweetened and ripened fruit as well or you can try with whole wheat flour and eggs. Makes for a healthy snack for your kid.
Caterpillar Sandwiches: Yes, caterpillar sandwiches, trust me caterpillar sandwiches will be devoured by your kids in no time. And they are so easy to make as well.
· 12 Slices of bread
· 6 slices of chicken breast or vegetable cutlets
· 6 slices of cheese
· 6 slices of cottage cheese
· 1 Small tomato
· 1 stalk of green onion or you can take celery as well (as per the availability of the ingredient)
- The first step is to take a stock of all the ingredients and gather them at one place
- Next on your cutting board, lay two slices of bread and butter both the slices lightly
- Place either a chicken slice or a vegetable cutlet on one side and cover it with the other buttered slice.
- Repeat the process with both cottage cheese and cheese slices.
- With the help of a mini cookie cutter, cut five circles from each of the sandwiches
- Place them on a platter in a wavy shape of a caterpillar, if you wish you can alternate the flavor of the sandwich
- Once you have placed all the sandwiches, take the tomato and place it in the front of the sandwiches thus making the head of the wavy caterpillar
- To make the eyes of the caterpillar, cut two small oval shapes from the cheese and glue it on the tomato with the help of butter (butter will act as a glue)
- Make the pupils with the green onion stalk and glue it on the cheese eyes with the help of butter again
- Next you need to cut two long strands from the onion stalk to make the feelers of your caterpillar.
- Once everything is ready you can cover the platter with a plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to serve or can serve immediately to your kids and friends
Chickpeas Seed Crackers and nutritious bourbon cookies are other nutritional and healthy food for kids that they will love and simply gobble it up. While it is not challenging to either make the food healthy or even involving your kids to make the food healthy and fun, the challenge is to entice your child enough to try these healthy snacks.